Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Have Been Tagged!

Twice actually. Two of my blogging friends have tagged me to list seven things about me, Meredith Griswold Dillard, that you probably don't know. This is hard so we will see how it goes.

1.) I was co - president of chorus at my high school my senior year. I had been in chrous since seventh grade and loved to sing. Although unlike most choral presidents before me, I hated to sing solos. I could sing in an ensemble but never by myself. It is kinda funny because I can dance on a stage by myself forever but can't sing. One of my regrets is that I am not singing anymore. I will at times work with the sopranos in the youth choir at church and our music minister at church says he needs me in the adult choir, but I just don't have time right now.


2.) I LOOOOOVVE Christmas time! I know most people love Christmas but I go all the way. Last year while Brad and I were engaged, we had a Christmas shower where everyone bought us Christmas decor and Christmas household items. It was fantastic. I think that we have enough to decorate each room. My favorite Christmas decoration themes are penguins and snowmen. To me, there is no greater joy than sitting in the den by the light of the Christmas tree lights, drinking a warm beverage and cuddling close with someone you love while watching A Muppet Family Christmas. It may have something to do with the fact that I am a December 30th birthday person.



3.) Brad and I got married exactly 6 months to the day after he proposed. He proposed at UGA on October 5th. We at first thought about May 31st as it would have been the first Saturday after school got out and our first date had been on July 31st. However, we reconsidered and placed the date on April 5th because it was the Saturday leading into Spring Break, and we would be husband and wife sooner! Turns out this was a good move because our nephew was due at the beginning of June, and if he had decided to come early, things could have gotten interesting :0)


4.) I consider myself very lucky to have loved and known my great-grandmother for 20 years before she died. Most people don't get a chance to share such a long and deep relationship with great-grandparents and sometimes not grandparents. Memaw was the most giving, sweet, caring individual, and she always made me feel special. Both happily and sadly, she lived longer than my grandmother, her daughter. My favorite memories with Memaw involve picking apples and putting them in five gallon buckets when I was shorter than the five gallon bucket at their house on Rockbridge Road, the way she would always bring me into her Sunday School class every Sunday at church and brag on me to her friends and enjoying eating her coconut cakes with her. To this day, we still don't have her recipe and it makes me sad that I don't have that piece of Memaw history to remember her by.







5.) One of my best friends, Jennifer, and I share the same birthday but we are a year apart. I was born in 1980 and she was born in 1981. Still, we are both December 30th babies. Our poor husbands have to find enough presents to fulfill the expected Christmas and birthday gifts all at one time.







6.) I struggle with my body image big time. People think it is crazy, given the size that I am but I still get caught up in it. I always have. When I was growing up, my sister and cousin were thin as a stick....you could have spoon fed them butter by the stick and they wouldn't have gained weight. I , on the otherhand, held on to my baby fat for awhile. It was hard to be the "chubby" one of the bunch. Then I got older and started dancing and my body image really changed. I do realize that I am on the small end of things and have very little room to complain but I still don't like the idea of gaining weight. No matter what size you are when you start out, it doesn't feel good to get on the scale and see a higher number or to try on a pair of pants that fit a year ago and realize they don't. I just know that this has plagued me all of my life and I want to do everything that I can to prevent any future daughters of mine from letting this haunt them like it does me.




7.) My parents are two of my best friends. I am very close to my dad as a result of living with him from the time my parents got divorced through college and then for six months after I was divorced. I believe that my dad and I have an openness that most fathers and daughters don't share. I feel very fortunate to have that bond with my dad.


My mother and I have a great time just being girls together. We shop and lately we have gotten into a trend of going to see movies together which is fun. On Election day, we went walking together. I just wish my mom lived closer so that we could see each other more.


No comments: